Department: Schar School of Policy and Government
Director of Marketing
The George Mason University Schar School of Policy and Government invites applications for a Director of Marketing position. The Schar School is located on the Arlington and Fairfax campuses of George Mason University and serves 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students, with approximately 13,000 alumni. This position is located on the Arlington campus. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
Working collaboratively with the Director of Graduate Admissions and reporting to the Assistant Dean of Admissions and Student Services, the Director of Marketing develops a strategic and integrated marketing plan that differentiates the Schar School from its competitors; promotes the School's brand; and enhances its reputation as a preeminent school for policy, government, and international affairs in the Washington, D.C., region and beyond. The primary responsibility of the Director is to support Schar School student recruitment efforts to increase enrollment. Additional responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement the communications, marketing, and advertising plan, in collaboration with the Director of Graduate Admissions and others, to raise awareness about the Schar School academic programs and research and increase student applications and enrollment;
- Act as owner of the Schar School Web site to ensure content is fresh and relevant, and coordinate with the Web specialist to address any technical issues;
- Write and edit marketing copy for Schar School advertisements, Web site and marketing collateral;
- Write and edit news and feature articles on students, faculty, alumni and events for all Schar School communication vehicles;
- Provide art direction for all Schar School advertisements, marketing materials, Web site, signage and more;
- Conduct market research to understand the Schar School's various audiences;
- Identify and articulate value propositions for the Schar School and each of its programs;
- Manage the Schar School marketing budget and staff consisting of the Schar School Web specialist;
- Promote Schar School special events; and
- Track key performance metrics for Web site and advertising campaigns.
- Master's degree required or equivalent experience;
- Minimum five years of professional experience in marketing and communications;
- Thorough knowledge of marketing and communications best practices, including branding;
- Demonstrated project and budget management skills;
- Experience in developing and implementing a strategic communications plan;
- Excellent writing and editing skills, and the ability to write both marketing copy and articles in a journalistic/AP style;
- Experience working with Web sites and content management systems; and
- Experience tracking and mining analytics to inform business decisions.
- Experience in higher education marketing.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience; anticipated range of $60,000-$65,000.
Criminal Background Check: Standard Background Check
Mason Ad Statement:
Great Careers Begin at Mason!
George Mason University is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
If you are interested in joining the Mason family take a look at our current opportunities and catch some Mason spirit at jobs.gmu.edu/!
George Mason University, Where Innovation is Tradition.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number FA59Az at http://jobs.gmu.edu/; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information. Candidates may also upload up to three letters of recommendation (optional).
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.